loyalty

22:04
loyalty

there's a couple of topics I want to touch base on but I have no idea where to start, and a lot of the subjects I've encountered working not just on the seas but in the hospitality industry as well. 

one of these interests is loyalty clubs. now a days you can be a loyalty member anywhere. I'm a loyalty member through Panera Bread as well as Yogurt Mountain. (obviously we know where my priorities lie.) However working for major hotel and cruise companies there are more intense loyalty programs that one can opt into. 

these programs all work the same, you spend the money you get the points. that's how they reel you in, oh it free to sign up BUT if you register for our company credit card you'll get a set amount of points on the spot and they'll continue to accumulate over the month just like your credit card bill. 

I'm not saying these programs are a bad thing. in fact Drew and I have a Disney credit card that we earn points on, that we can then spend down the road from where we live. we spend it on the credit card then pay it with cash. thats how you get young people like us to sign up, show us how easy it is. 

There's also another demographic the older retired group. these people range from having old money to just retiring to being almost on their death bed but by golly please believe they will be spending their money on cruises. 

(supposedly studies have shown that its cheaper to retire on a cruise ship and live on a ship than it is to be in a retirement home)

these older cruisers have accumulated points from cruising over the years and have reached the top tiers (diamond plus, emerald, pinnacle members..etc)

don't get me wrong, that's ALOT of money to reach that point and a lot of time spent on our ships, however the point of this post and the point of my rant is just because you spend the money does NOT entitle you to ANYTHING. there are perks to being those higher tiers and that's our thank you as well as our incentive to the cruisers to achieve that status. however just because you're a certain tier does not mean I will give you whatever you want, and does not mean you have the right to act like you're better than everyone else. 

I saw this in the hotel industry, I've seen this in retail but I have to say the worst is in the cruise line. 

don't get me wrong, there are some very sweet people Drew and I have met who are fantastic people and we would love to have them on our ship again however there are a lot of people I will be fine with never seeing again in my life. 

Here's my advice to you and everyone else who has a high status despite if its Yogurt Mountain, Southwest Airlines or a Starwood Preferred Guest:

check yourself before you wreck yourself - just because you spend the money doesn't mean you can get an attitude. 

okay I'm done with my little rant, thanks again for keeping up with us. we miss you all. 

Lexi. 

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.