Stereotypes.

10:00
stereotypes

 (didn't publish the first time around)

remember those random subjects I wanted to touch base on back in my loyalty post? well here we are again, this time it's stereotypes. 

now I am proud to say that I try really really hard not to base people on stereotypes or automatically judge them because of previous judgements. 

My husband on the other hand is a person who will tell you that stereotypes are there for a reason. But I try to look beyond the judgements. 

However, if a certain ethnicity or type of person falls under those titles well, I can't help them. all I can say is that I didn't judge you till you gave me a reason too. 

For example, all Asians eat rice and/or ramen noodles. that's just a stereotype right? not until you're in the mess and an Asian girl with a pile of rice on her plate asks for more. Or when a couple of Asian girls take their trash out and see at least three Ramen packages. You're laughing I know, but it's true. Majority of the Asian population on the boat in the mess have rice on their plate. 

Now here's a different set of people, the older generation. 

All the grandparents on board. A lot of you who are reading this know me, I have a special place in my heart for older people. I think that mainly comes from growing up with my grandparents in the house. I understand people with walkers. My grandpa who suffered from MS didn't have a choice he needed walking assistance. I get that, and am more than happy to help people like that. In fact it's my pleasure because I would of wanted people to treat my grandpa the same way. I understand that sometimes they just want someone to talk to because they have no one else to talk to at home. I get that, I have no problem with accommodating that kind of help or entertainment. 

HOWEVER 

there are just some people who you can not please. who expect things to be done the same way as it was back in 1923. Or who can not figure out a giant touch screen tv even when someone (Mainly me) explains it to them five different times. The people who think 9pm is to late, or ask for a senior discount on something that is free. The people who have horns, and streamers on their walkers. 

These are the people who make you want to avoid anyone over 60. And when you think of an 85 year old whatever stereotype that comes in your head that's who I deal with on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. Drew likes to call our ship the Royal Retirement Home.  

It doesn't help that all the adults I grew up around were more or less "hip" to the times. My parents always knew what was going on with current events or technology. My grandparents were always willing to learn. For Pete's sake my grandmother has a blog, twitter and Facebook account as well as can digital scrapbook on Adobe photoshop. Please let me know when she falls in the majority of her age group because quite frankly that is not the type of women I am dealing with on this ship.

Whether it's a cultural or age group that I encounter on the ship I try my very best to treat everyone with respect. That's my job but that's also my personality. However people don't make it easy for me. 

That's been my weekly rant as well as insight into our cruise life. Stay tuned next time for more shenanigans. 

Lexi

Example of said walkers....

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.